The other day I have watched one of my favourite cooking show. Ricardo was making a vegetarian chili. Because I have never made chilli and that it had beans in it which I like, it appealed to me right away. I already had a huge sweet potato here so I was half way there loll. Because being myself is not always easy I though I knew what else I needed to buy to make the recipe(you know from memory) so I bought a can of black beans and 2 peppers.
When I finally read the recipe online I was missing frozen corn and 1 can of beans so I put more peppers and an apple for the sweetness. For once I wanted to really follow a recipe but it might an impossible thing to do for me loll
The recipe is from Ricardo cuisine but from the French side of the website only. I didn’t find it in English. Ricardo had a cooking show for many years in Québec(Canada) in French but he is now on the food channel with a show in English.
Anyway made the recipe which was easy, healthy and yummy! I love vegetarian stuff with beans in it. At the end of the recipe there was a link saying your can serve with corn bread so I also made his corn bread recipe and the 2 things together was so delicious. I can see myself going ice fishing next Sunday and having a bowl of chilli to warm things up!
Here is the recipe translated if you would like to try.
Black bean vegetarian chili
- 2 onions, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 t jalapeño , seedless, chopped
- 45 ml (3 c. tbsp. chili) powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.)) paprika
- 1 can of 796 ml (28 oz.) diced tomato
- 2 cans 540 ml (19 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 500 ml (2 cups) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 125 ml (½cup) vegetable stock
- 375 ml (1 ½ cup) frozen corn
- 125 ml (½ cup) peanuts, grilled and chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- In a pot cook the onions in olive oil until golden. Add the peppers, garlic,spices and jalapeno. Cook for 2 minutes
- Add tomato, beans, sweet potato, the stock and bring to boil. let simmer with no lid until the sweet potato is done, about 30 minutes Add corn and peanuts and cook some more. Add cilantro at the end and serve with corn bread.
For my version of the recipe
I only had 1 can of beans, 2 peppers, green Tabasco instead of jalapeno(cannot handle heat), left the peanut whole and used crushed coriander(cilantro) seeds instead of the fresh stuff. I also added 1 tsp. of cumin and chicken stock instead of veggie stock. I guess it is what cooking is all about…using what you have and being creative within boundaries. Now that I have written it I can making it again if I want. It’s not usually the case loll Now I still want to try the real recipe(as if) and I don’t know what it would taste like but my version was great!